Sunday, October 22 at 3:05 p.m – PPL Center, Allentown, PA
Lehigh Valley (2-2-0) vs. Springfield (1-3-0)
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms return to PPL Center for a Sunday afternoon tilt against the Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues. Today’s game is a rematch of Friday’s contest in Springfield, Mass. in which the Phantoms won 5-2 on a hat trick by Olle Lycksell. This is Game 2 out of 6 in the season series. The two teams will meet again for a pair of games in Springfield in early November.
Olle Lycksell scored his fourth goal of the weekend but Lehigh Valley was unable to pull off another comeback. Hartford’s three late goals sealed a 5-1 decision on Saturday night at XL Center. Hartford led 2-0 in the first but Cal Petersen made several remarkable saves in keeping the Phantoms close. By the end of the second period, Lehigh Valley had killed seven Hartford power plays and was within a goal. But despite some close calls the Phantoms were unable to find the equalizer against Dylan Garand.
SHOWDOWN WITH SPRINGY
Springfield (1-3-0) has dropped back-to-back games on the weekend including a 3-1 loss in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins’ home opener on Saturday.
The T-Birds split a pair of games to open the season with a 3-1 loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack followed by a 4-3 win over the Providence Bruins. The T-Birds finished in fourth-place in the Atlantic Division in 2023-24 at 38-26-8 but were bounced in the first round of the postseason by Hartford. adam Gaudette staked Springfield to a 2-0 lead on Friday against Lehigh Valley and leads the team in scoring with 4-2-6. Diminutive Australian Nathan Walker (2-3-5) registered a hat trick against the Phantoms two seasons ago and also had an NHL hat trick with the St. Louis Blues in the same season.
Veteran backstop Malcolm Subban and young prospect Vadim Zherenko are the goalies. Captain Tommy Cross announced his retirement over the summer but two-time Calder Cup Finalist Matthew Peca returns to the T-Birds to assume leadership duties.
- Olle Lycksell recorded the 17th hat trick in Lehigh Valley history on Friday at Springfield. It was the first away hattie since Tanner Laczynski against the Binghamton Devils in Newark on March 26, 2021
- Lehigh Valley has a power-play goal in each of its four games this season
- The Phantoms have been in 2-0 deficits in the first period in all four games this season. They battled back to win 5-2 in two of those games.
- Alexis Gendron became the second Lehigh Valley player to score a goal in each of his first two pro games joining Elliot Desnoyers who scored in three straight games to open the 2022-23 season
- Cooper Marody’s (2-2-4) three-game point streak was snapped on Saturday at Hartford
- Tanner Laczynski (1-5-6) has a three-game point streak and leads the team in scoring
- Lycksell and Gendron scored 10 seconds apart at Springfield. The Lehigh Valley record was just six seconds apart by Mark Zengerle and Danick Martel scored just six seconds apart on Feb 8, 2017.
Lycksell and Gendron’s consecutive goals were the fastest for Lehigh Valley since Dec 1, 2018 when Taylor Leier and Chris Conner scored nine seconds apart at Belleville.
Phantoms Scoring Leaders
Tanner Laczynski 1-5-6
Cooper Marody 2-2-4
Olle Lycksell 4-0-4
Samu Tuomaala 1-2-3
Alexis Gendron 2-0-2
Springfield Scoring Leaders
Adam Gaudette 4-2-6
Nathan Walker 2-3-5
Matthew Peca 1–1-2
UP NEXT –
The Phantoms travel to Chocolate Town next Saturday, October 28 with a rivalry tussle against the defending Calder Cup Champion Hershey Bears.
The Phantoms return to PPL Center on Sunday, October 29 at 5:05 p.m. to take on the Hartford Wolf Pack, AHL affiliate of the New York Rangers. Next Sunday’s game includes a postgame state with the Phantoms players. Fans must be wearing skates to be allowed onto the ice.
Saturday, October 28 (7:00) – Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Hershey Bears
Sunday, October 29 (5:05) – Hartford Wolf Pack at Lehigh Valley Phantoms – Postgame Skate with Players
Wednesday, November 1 (7:00) – Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Hershey Bears
Friday, November 3 (7:05) – Hartford Wolf Pack at Lehigh Valley Phantoms – SWIFTIE Takeover Night!