It’s a Phantoms GAMEDAY presented by MassMutual as the Lehigh Valley Phantoms host the Providence Bruins in the finale of a three-game homestand.
Lehigh Valley (27-30-12) is playing game 70 of the season and there are 7 games remaining including tonight with six of those games in Allentown.
Maksim Sushko extended his goal streak to three games but the Bridgeport Islanders rallied from behind in a 2-1 overtime decision on Friday night at PPL Center. Austin Czarnik scored the game-winner for Bridgeport while NHL veteran Cory Schneider turned aside 35 of 36 shots to hold the Phantoms off long enough and keep the Islanders in the game. The Phantoms extended their home-ice point streak to seven (6-0-1) with the regulation tie.
GETTING A LOOK WITH THE BIG CLUB
Philadelphia recalled three Phantoms players for Wednesday night’s game against the New York Rangers: goalie Felix Sandstrom, forward Tanner Laczynski and defenseman Egor Zamula. Sandstrom played well in his second career NHL game in a 4-0 loss. Sandstrom returned to the Phantoms for Friday’s game but was recalled back up to Philadelphia this morning.
Laczynski played in his first NHL game of the season after only having joined the Phantoms’ lineup in February following hip surgery during training camp in September. It was Laczynski’s sixth career NHL game. Zamula played his second NHL game of the season and the fourth of his career.
Providence (33-20-10) rates third in the Atlantic after some inconsistent play in March and April. Zach Senyshyn and John Moore have been traded as well as Urko Vaakanainen while Jack Studnicka has been recalled affecting the Bruins’ roster. Troy Grosenick is the top goalie in the AHL with a 2.02 goals-against average and .931 save percentage along with his 16-5-4 record but has been recalled to Boston. He made 31 saves on 32 shots this past Monday to hold off the Phantoms 2-1. The P-Bruins’ defense is tops in the conference and second in the AHL allowing 2.65 goals per game and their penalty kill is second-best in the conference (behind Charlotte) at 83.6%. Providence clinched a playoff spot on Friday despite not even playing when Hartford fell at Toronto.
– Cal O’Reilly has 533 career assists in the AHL which is tied for 8th all-time with former Philadelphia Phantoms great Peter White who is the all-time leading scorer in franchise history. White had 472 of his points and 319 assists as a member of the Phantoms.
– The Phantoms are on a seven-game home-ice point streak (6-0-1) since March 11.
– The Phantoms have out shot their oppnents by ten more in four straight games this week: 44-27, 32-22, 38-22, 36-21 for a total shots advantage of 150-92 in that stretch that includes games on Sunday at Bridgeport, Monday at Providence, Wednesday vs. Hershey and Friday vs. Bridgeport.
– The Phantoms are 16-1-1 when scoring four or more goals. The Phantoms are 16-2-3 when leading at the second intermission.
– Three Phantoms players were recalled to play for the Flyers on Wednesday night: Felix Sandstrom, Tanner Laczynski and Egor Zamula. It was the first NHL game of the season for Laczynski and the second of the year for both Sandstrom and Zamula.
– Five Phantoms players have made their NHL debuts this season: Max Willman, Felix Sandstrom, Linus Sandin, Isaac Ratcliffe, Hayden Hodgson
– Adam Clendening is 4th among AHL defensemen in assists with 32. He is tenth in total points (37) for blueliners.
– The Phantoms have played 69 games and have 7 remaining in the 2021-22 regular season.
Saturday, April 16 vs. Providence Bruins (7:05) (PPL Center) – PRIDE NIGHT!
Tuesday, April 19 at Providence Bruins (7:05)
Friday, April 22 vs. Hershey Bears (7:05) (PPL Center)
Saturday, April 23 at Hershey Bears (7:00)
Tuesday, April 26 vs. Springfield Thunderbirds (7:05) (PPL Center)
Wednesday, April 27 vs. Cleveland Monsters (7:05) (PPL Center)
Saturday, April 30 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (7:05) (PPL Center) Star Wars Night!! Season Finale
Broadcast coverage of all Phantoms games, home and away, is available on the Phantoms 365 app and on 1470-WSAN. Fans can watch on AHLTV.com and can listen on their Smart Speakers at: “Play Phantoms Radio 24/7.” Join Voice of the Phantoms, Bob Rotruck, for all the action!