January 29, 2022
TONIGHT: The Lehigh Valley Phantoms conclude their five-game road swing at the first-place Hartford Wolf Pack on tonight’s Phantoms GAMEDAY presented by MassMutual. Lehigh Valley (12-14-8) is 2-1-0 against the affiliate of the New York Rangers including a 3-1 win in the last visit to XL Center in Hartford on December 17. Hartford (20-11-5) is tops in the Atlantic Division again and has won three straight following a 5-4 shootout victory over the Provience Bruins on Friday. The Phantoms are an even 2-2-0 on their current road-trip. Tonight is Game #35 of the 2021-22 season.
LAST TIME: Springfield raced out to a 5-0 lead in the first period on its way to a 6-2 win over the Phantoms on Friday night at MassMutual Center. Nathan Walker led the T-Birds with a natural hat trick in the first period and tacked on an assist on the final goal for a four-point night. Garrett Wilson (9th) and Nick Lappin (2nd) scored in the third period for the Phantoms while Adam Clendening had a pair of assists. Lehigh Valley out shot the Thunderbirds 25-11 in the final 40 minutes after the initial 5-0 deficit.
TRANSACTIONS: Isaac Ratcliffe has been recalled to the Flyers in advance of his NHL debut on Saturday afternoon. Forward Linus Sandin has returned to the Phantoms after making his NHL debut on Tuesday. Forward Jackson Cates and goalie Felix Sandstrom have also returned to the Phantoms from the Flyers’ Taxi Squad.
OLYMPICS HONOR: Pat Nagle has been chosen to play for the United States National Team at the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympics in China. The 34-year-old veteran goalie will depart the Phantoms on Sunday and will be away with the American team for three weeks. Congratulations, Pat!!
HARTFORD WOLF PACK: Kris Knoblauch’s Wolf Pack have vaulted into the top spot of the competitive Atlantic Division standings via a three-game win streak. Jeff Taylor scored in the seventh round last night as veteran goalie Keith Kinkaid improved to 14-2-2 to rate tops in the Eastern Conference in wins. Leading scorer Jonny Brozinski (13-15-28) is one of several recalls to the Rangers along with Zac Jones, Tim Gettinger and Morgan Barron. Leading the Wolf Pack among active players are former Springfield Thunderbird Anthony Greco (9-18-27) and former Bridgeport Sound Tiger Tanner Fritz (6-17-23).
– Linus Sandin made his NHL debut on January 25 for the Philadelphia Flyers at the New York Islanders. Sandin has scored 5 goals in his last 7 games with the Phantoms. He beccame the 34th Lehigh Valley Phantom to make his NHL debut with the Flyers on a recall and the third this season joining Max Willman and Felix Sandstrom.
– The five goals allowed in a single period on Friday at Springfield is tied for an all-time Phantoms franchise record last done on March 2, 2018 when Lehigh Valley trailed Hershey 5-1 in the first in a game in which they shockingly won 7-6.
– Wyatte Wylie’s three-assist game on Sunday was his new career-best for points in a game and is tied for the most points in a game by any Phantoms player this year.
– Lehigh Valley has gone 9-3-3 with points in 12 its last 15 games after a beginning that saw just three wins in the first 19 games at 3-11-5. But the Phantoms are 1-2-0 in their last three.
– Cal O’Reilly has 12 points (3-9-12) in his last 9 games including four multi-point games in that stretch.
– Defenseman Adam Clendening has 12 points (2-10-12) in his last ten games including four multi-point games in the last seven. Clendening has passed O’Reilly for the team-lead in scoring.
UP NEXT: The Phantoms are back at home on Sunday at 5:05 p.m. against the Hershey Bears on meLVin Kids Activity Book Night.
Sat, Jan 29 at Hartford Wolf Pack (7:00)
Sun, Jan 30 vs. Hershey Bears (5:05) (PPL Center)
Wed, Feb 2 at Bridgeport Islanders (10:30 a.m.)
Fri, Feb 4 vs. Providence Bruins (7:05) (PPL Center)
Sat, Feb 5 at Hartford Wolf Pack (5:00)
Tues, Feb 8 vs. Belleville Senators (7:05) (PPL Center)
Upcoming Home Games:
Sunday, January 30 vs. Hershey Bears (5:05) – meLVin Kids’ Activity Book Day (First 1,000 fans 14 and under)
Friday, February 4 vs. Providence Bruins (7:05) – Season Ticket Appreciation Night
Tuesday, February 8 vs. Belleville Senators (7:05) – (Makeup Date from Dec. 15 postponement)
Friday, February 11 vs. Hershey Bears (7:05) – GO FOR GOLD Weekend
Saturday, Feburary 12 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins – GO FOR GOLD Weekend, Saturday Night Hockey Live
Sunday, February 13 vs. Hershey Bears (2:05) – GO FOR GOLD Weekend
Broadcast coverage of all Phantoms games, home and away, is available on the Phantoms 365 app and on 1470-WSAN. Fans can watch on AHLTV.com and can listen on their Smart Speakers at: “Play Phantoms Radio 24/7.” Join Voice of the Phantoms, Bob Rotruck, for all the action!