The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will play the first of two games against the Providence Bruins this week tonight at 6:05 p.m. inside of Dunkin’ Donuts Center.
The contest will mark the second of six total meetings between the two teams this season.
Phantoms @ Providence Bruins
Phantoms Leading Scorers
- Greg Carey (39 GP, 12G-9A, 21 PTS)
- Mikhail Vorobyev (25 GP, 7G-12A, 19 PTS)
- Morgan Frost (25 GP, 8G-10A, 18 PTS)
- Cal O’Reilly (32 GP, 3G-15A, 18 PTS)
- Maksim Sushko (36 GP, 7G-8A, 15 PTS)
Bruins Leading Scorers
- Paul Carey (42 GP, 17G-13A, 30 PTS)
- Jack Studnicka (41 GP, 14G-15A, 29 PTS)
- Peter Cehlarik (34 GP, 11G-15A, 26 PTS)
- Robert Lantosi (35 GP, 10G-14A, 24 PTS)
- Trent Frederic (40 GP, 6G-17A, 23 PTS)
Prior Meetings This Season
Oct. 5 — PRO 3, LV 0
- With an assist in Wednesday’s game, Phantoms Co-Captain Cal O’Reilly is currently just one point away from hitting the 600-point mark in the American Hockey League. The 33-year-old is also set to play in his 700th AHL game tonight.
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms goaltender J-F Berube posted his second shutout of the season in Saturday’s 4-0 blanking of the Rochester Americans. Together, Berube and Alex Lyon have backstopped shutouts in three of the last five Phantoms games, combining for a 1.00 GAA and .966 save percentage over those contests.
- Should the Phantoms win tonight, Lehigh Valley Head Coach Scott Gordon will move into a tie for seventh place in all-time coaching wins in the AHL at 384.
- German Rubtsov led the Phantoms with six shots the last time Lehigh Valley and Providence squared off on October 5 inside of PPL Center.
- Lehigh Valley’s man advantage is heating up and now has three multi-power-play-goal games in the month of January. Last week, the power play converted four times on 15 chances for a rate of 26.6 percent across three games.
- With two game winners this past week, Greg Carey now leads the team with a total of three this season.
- Phantoms defenseman James de Haas played his 100th AHL game while forward Kyle Criscuolo played his 200th AHL contest on Saturday against the Rochester Americans.
Players to Watch
German Rubtsov had four points (1G-3A) in his past five games with the Phantoms prior to his call up to Philadelphia on Monday. The rookie forward led the team in shots, with six, the last time the two teams met on October 5 inside of PPL Center.
Kyle Criscuolo is currently riding a three-game point streak with three assists and is carrying a plus-four rating over those same games. While centering the team’s fourth line, Criscuolo has been able to generate offense and raise the game of those around him.
January 20, 2020: The Philadelphia Flyers recalled from loan forward German Rubtsov from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
January 22, 2020: The Philadelphia Flyers returned on loan goaltender Alex Lyon as well as forwards Connor Bunnaman and German Rubtsov to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
January 22, 2020: The Philadelphia Flyers reassigned goaltender Felix Sandstrom from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms to the Reading Royals.
The Road Ahead
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will rematch against the Providence Bruins on Friday night, January 24, inside Dunkin’ Donuts Center at 7:05 p.m. Tune into the game on AHLTV or listen live via the Phantoms365 App!