January 30, 2022
TONIGHT: It’s a GAMEDAY at PPL Center presented by MassMutual. The Lehigh Valley Phantoms return home to tangle with the rival Hershey Bears in Game 5 out of 14 in the rivalry series with a 5:05 p.m. puck drop. Lehigh Valley (13-14-8) has points in six of their last seven home games at 3-1-3 and points in 13 of the last 16 games overall at 10-3-3. Lehigh Valley has thrived in Sunday games this year with a 3-1-2 record. The Phantoms lead the season series over Hershey with a 2-1-1 mark including a 2-1 win on December 21 the last time the Bears visited PPL Center. Lehigh Valley fell at Hershey in overtime on January 5 in a 4-3 decision.
LAST TIME: Pat Nagle had 26 saves for his first career AHL shutout in a 4-0 victory at first-place Hartford on Saturday night. The 34-year-old veteran goalie was playing in his final game with the Phantoms before departing for Beijing, China for the next three weeks as a member of the U.S. Olympic Team. Lehigh Valley raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first period on goals for Hayden Hodgson (9), Wyatte Wylie (1) and Alex Kile (2). Early in the second period, the Phantoms would finish their scoring on a team-leading 10th goal of the season for Garrett Wilson. The Phantoms finished their five-ame road-trip with a 3-2-0 record.
TRANSACTIONS: Isaac Ratcliffe has been recalled to the Flyers and made his NHL debut on Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia’s 4-3 overtime win against the Los Angeles Kings. Forward Linus Sandin has returned to the Phantoms after making his NHL debut on Tuesday. Forward Jackson Cates and goalie Felix Sandstrom have also returned to the Phantoms from the Flyers’ Taxi Squad.
OLYMPICS HONOR: Pat Nagle has been chosen to play for the United States National Team at the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympics in China. The 34-year-old veteran goalie departed the Phantoms after last night’s game and will be away with the American team for three weeks. Congratulations, Pat!!
HERSHEY BEARS: The Bears are 21-12-5 and have leaped ahead of Hartford for the top spot in the Atlantic Division following their 2-1 win against Bridgeport on Saturday on an overtime goal by Phantoms’ alum Mike Vecchione. Joe Snively has been leading Scott Allen’s team in scoring with 15-23-38 prior to Saturday’s action. But Snively has been recalled to the Capitals. He had an overtime winner against the Phantoms as part of a two-goal game on January 5 at Giant Center. Garrett Pilon entered the weekend tops among active Hershey scorers with 13-15-28. Aexl-Jonsson Fjallby had a hat trick last week and now has 14 goals. Mike Vecchione is tops among active players in assists and has scored 7-16-23. This is Game 5 out of 14 in the rivalry series. The Phantoms are 2-1-1 against Hershey this season.
PROUD OF OUR GUYS!
11 players have gone from the Phantoms to the Flyers this season:
– Linus Sandin made his NHL debut on January 25 for the Philadelphia Flyers at the New York Islanders. Sandin has scored 5 goals in his last 8 games with the Phantoms. He beccame the 34th Lehigh Valley Phantom to make his NHL debut with the Flyers on a recall and the third this season joining Max Willman and Felix Sandstrom.
– Garrett Wilson has goals in back-to-back games this weekend and now leads the team with 10.
– Wyatte Wylie’s three-assist game last Sunday at Charlotte was his new career-best for points in a game and is tied for the most points in a game by any Phantoms player this year.
– Lehigh Valley has gone 10-3-3 with points in 123its last 16 games after a beginning that saw just three wins in the first 19 games at 3-11-5.
– Cal O’Reilly has 12 points (3-9-12) in his last 9 games including four multi-point games in that stretch.
– Defenseman Adam Clendening has 12 points (2-10-12) in his last ten games including four multi-point games in the last seven. Clendening has passed O’Reilly for the team-lead in scoring.
UP NEXT: The Phantoms have a morning game on Wednesday, February 2 at the Bridgeport Islanders and then return to PPL Center on Friday, February 4 againt the Providence Bruins on Season Ticket Holder Appreciation Day.
Sun, Jan 30 vs. Hershey Bears (5:05) (PPL Center)
Wed, Feb 2 at Bridgeport Islanders (10:30 a.m.)
Fri, Feb 4 vs. Providence Bruins (7:05) (PPL Center)
Sat, Feb 5 at Hartford Wolf Pack (5:00)
Tues, Feb 8 vs. Belleville Senators (7:05) (PPL Center)
Upcoming Home Games:
Sunday, January 30 vs. Hershey Bears (5:05) – meLVin Kids’ Activity Book Day (First 1,000 fans 14 and under)
Friday, February 4 vs. Providence Bruins (7:05) – Season Ticket Appreciation Night
Tuesday, February 8 vs. Belleville Senators (7:05) – (Makeup Date from Dec. 15 postponement)
Friday, February 11 vs. Hershey Bears (7:05) – GO FOR GOLD Weekend
Saturday, Feburary 12 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins – GO FOR GOLD Weekend, Saturday Night Hockey Live
Sunday, February 13 vs. Hershey Bears (2:05) – GO FOR GOLD Weekend
Broadcast coverage of all Phantoms games, home and away, is available on the Phantoms 365 app and on 1470-WSAN. Fans can watch on AHLTV.com and can listen on their Smart Speakers at: “Play Phantoms Radio 24/7.” Join Voice of the Phantoms, Bob Rotruck, for all the action!