The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will tangle with the rival Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins inside of PPL Center on Wednesday, March 11, at 7:05 p.m. The midweek matchup will represent the 10th overall meeting between the two teams during the 2019-20 season in which the Phantoms hold a 4-4-0-1 record against their Atlantic Division foes.
Phantoms vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Phantoms Leading Scorers
- Greg Carey (56 GP, 15G-15A, 30 PTS)
- Morgan Frost (40 GP, 13G-16A, 29 PTS)
- Cal O’Reilly (51 GP, 6G-23A, 29 PTS)
- Mikhail Vorobyev (44 GP, 12G-15A, 27 PTS)
- Tyler Wotherspoon (53 GP, 4G-18A, 22 PTS)
Penguins Leading Scorers
- Riley Barber (45 GP, 15G-21A, 36 PTS)
- Kevin Roy (57 GP, 13G-21A, 34 PTS)
- Adam Johnson (47 GP, 10G-23A, 33 PTS)
- David Warsofsky (51 GP, 10G-23A, 33 PTS)
- Sam Miletic (61 GP, 9G-23A, 32 PTS)
Prior Meetings This Season
Oct. 11 — LV 4, WBS 1
Nov. 1 — WBS 4, LV 3 (SO)
Nov. 6 — LV 4, WBS 2
Nov. 16 — WBS 2, LV 1
Nov. 27 — WBS 6, LV 2
Nov. 29 — LV 6, WBS 5 (OT)
Dec. 27 — WBS 4, LV 2
Jan. 31 — WBS 4, LV 1
Feb. 8 — LV 5, WBS 3
- Defenseman Chris Bigras should re-enter the Phantoms lineup tonight after being suspended two games as a consequence of his actions in the Friday, March 6, game against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- Lehigh Valley has two shorthanded goals in the past five games thanks to a more stable penalty kill. Forward Isaac Ratcliffe has factored in on both of those shorthanded markers — scoring one — and is now ranked second on the team with three shorthanded points this season.
- Phantoms defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon currently leads the team in plus-minus with a plus-10 rating and leads the defense corps in both assists (18) and points (22).
- Morgan Frost notched his sixth multi-point game of the season this past weekend with a pair of goals and an assist on March 6. The rookie forward has recorded nine points (5G-4A) over his past 10 games.
- Of players who have played 30 or more contests with the Phantoms this season, forward Mikhail Vorobyev has the team’s highest shooting percentage with 16.9 percent.
- Former Phantom forward Phil Varone will face off against his former team for the second time this season, but this time as a member of the Penguins. The 2018 Les Cunningham Award winner (AHL MVP) was traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Pittsburgh Penguins on February 20.
Players to Watch
Mikhail Vorobyev tallied three points (1G-2A) in Sunday’s game against the Sound Tigers for his fourth multi-point game of the season. The 23-year-old now leads the Phantoms in shorthanded points (2G-2A) and also has two goals and two assists through seven games against the Penguins this season.
Greg Carey leads the team with seven points (2G-5A) through nine games against the Penguins this season. The Hamilton, Ontario, native retook the team lead in points this past weekend with three assists in the past three games and now has 30 points (15G-15A) through 56 games this season.
March 11, 2020: The Philadelphia Flyers recalled from loan defenseman Mark Friedman from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
March 11, 2020: The Lehigh Valley Phantoms recalled from loan defenseman Eric Knodel from the Reading Royals.
March 11, 2020: The Philadelphia Flyers recalled from loan forward Connor Bunnaman from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
The Road Ahead
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will rematch against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday, March 13, inside of PPL Center at 7:05 p.m. The game will mark the final time that the two teams meet in downtown Allentown this season. Don’t miss this rivalry showdown, get your tickets for the game by clicking HERE.
Friday’s game will also be the first night of the team’s St. Patrick’s Day Celebration weekend that features special St. Patrick’s Day themed jerseys and a concourse performance by Piper’s Request beginning at 6 p.m.