The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will take on the Providence Bruins inside of Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence on Friday, April 12, at 7:05 p.m. Friday’s meeting will mark the final road game of the 2018-19 regular season for the Phantoms and the sixth and final meeting between the two teams.
Winners of their past three consecutive games, the Phantoms will look to even the season series against the Bruins who currently hold a 3-2-0-0 lead.
Lehigh Valley’s roster was recently bolstered by the addition of defenseman Philippe Myers and forward Corban Knight who have combined for a total of six points (1G-5A) in the past three contests. In addition, the Phantoms have recently seen an offensive outburst in which they have scored 17 goals in three games. Over those three contests, 18 different players on the Phantoms roster have contributed a point or more.
Friday’s game will also have tremendous playoff implications as the surging Phantoms are just four points behind the Bruins, who are just 5-3-1-1 in their past 10 games, for the final playoff spot in the Atlantic Division.
Phantoms at Providence Bruins
Phantoms Leading Scorers
- Greg Carey (72 GP, 28G-32A, 60 PTS)
- Chris Conner (70 GP, 16G-34A, 50 PTS)
- Byron Froese (68 GP, 20G-23A, 43 PTS)
- T.J. Brennan (61 GP, 8G-34A, 42 PTS)
- Mike Vecchione (67 GP, 15G-23A, 38 PTS)
Bruins Leading Scorers
- Paul Carey (58 GP, 26G-33A, 59 PTS)
- Jordan Szwarz (66 GP, 22G-22A, 44 PTS)
- Gemel Smith (44 GP, 15G-21A, 36 PTS)
- Peter Cehlarik (50 GP, 12G-24A, 36 PTS)
- Ryan Fitzgerald (58 GP, 9G-26A, 35 PTS)
Prior Meetings This Season
Mar. 15 — PRO 5, LV 3
Jan. 4 — PRO 4, LV 2
Dec. 28 — LV 3, PRO 1
Nov. 24 — PRO 6, LV 3
Nov. 16 — LV 5, PRO 4
- Lehigh Valley forward Greg Carey currently leads the Phantoms’ charge against the Bruins this season. In five games during the 2019-19 campaign, Carey has two goals and three assists for five total points.
- Greg Carey is just two goals away from 30 markers this season. The Hamilton, Ontario, native has already strung together four consecutive seasons of 25 or more goals and should he reach 30, will have back-to-back 30-goal seasons.
- Getting off to a strong start could be key against the Bruins on Friday night. The Lehigh Valley Phantoms are 26-1-0-0 when leading opponents after two periods of play.
- Rookie forward Connor Bunnaman netted the first overtime game-winning goal of his career in Tuesday night’s 3-2 victory over the Hershey Bears.
- Lehigh Valley is currently riding a three-game win streak which ties for its longest of the season. During the 2018-19 season, the Phantoms have now won three consecutive games three total times (Nov. 30 – Dec. 2, Dec. 22 – Dec. 28 and currently Apr. 6 – Apr. 9).
- Goaltender Felix Sandstrom could potentially make his North American professional debut in net tonight for the Phantoms. The 22-year-old goalie from Gavle, Sweden, was assigned to the Phantoms on April 8.
Players to Watch
T.J. Brennan currently ranks second on the Phantoms against the Bruins this season with four assists across five games during the 2018-19 campaign. This past weekend, Brennan tallied two helpers in a single contest to extend his season point total to 42 (8G-34A) in 61 games.
Philippe Myers has two goals and an assist for three total points in just four contests against the Bruins this season. The 22-year-old blueliner will look to extend his current point streak to three games as he has already recorded four assists in his past two games with Lehigh Valley.
April 7, 2019: The Lehigh Valley Phantoms recalled from loan forward Steven Swavely from the Reading Royals
April 7: 2019: The Philadelphia Flyers loaned forward Corban Knight and defenseman Mark Friedman to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms
April 8, 2019: The Philadelphia Flyers reassigned goaltender Felix Sandstrom from HV71 (SHL) to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The Road Ahead
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms will host the Hartford Wolf Pack inside of PPL Center in downtown Allentown on Saturday, April 13, at 7:05 p.m. in the last home game of the 2018-19 regular season. Saturday night’s game will also be Fan Appreciation Night with over 1,000 prizes available to fans attending the game as we salute the best fans in hockey. Limited tickets for Saturday against the Wolf Pack are still available and can be purchased HERE.